Are you regularly bothered by redness in the area around your nose? It's common for the skin to become irritated and dry in this part of the face. This creates redness that it's quite normal to want to get rid of. There are various underlying causes for the appearance of red skin around the nose. And once the cause has been identified, it's easier to get rid of that redness around the nose.
How to get rid of redness under the nose? How can you reduce redness around the nose? Find out what the causes are and what products are recommended that can help you solve the problem.Redness around the nose: what causes it?
During winter, redness on the sides of the nose andredness around the nostrils are common. Cold air and winter illnesses are the main causes of these temporary irritations. There's no need to worry and good skin hydration will help you reduce this redness.
However, if redness persists or becomes a source of discomfort, it's best to find the cause. This will help you treat your skin as effectively as possible.
Here are the most common causes of permanent redness around the nose:Changes in temperature and external factors
Dry, cold air, wind and seasonal changes can cause redness around the nose. Exposure to these skin-aggressive factors often causes redness. It is also possible for the skin to flake around and under the nose.Skin irritation
Rubbing or scratching the skin can cause redness around the nose and above the lips. The resulting irritation is often caused by frequent use of tissues due to a cold or seasonal allergy.Allergic contact dermatitis
Contact dermatitis, when allergic in origin, is caused by direct contact with allergens. In the immediate environment, these are most often perfumes, hygiene products, cleaning products, scented handkerchiefs, etc. In the event of an allergy, an irritating and uncomfortable red rash may occur around the nose and cheeks.Perioral dermatitis
This rash occurs on the skin around the nose, mouth and on the chin. It is often confused with acne or rosacea. Skin lesions may appear, resembling bumps. Called "papules", they are dry, scaly and swollen.Rosacea
Rosacea is a chronic skin condition. Sometimes it causes severe redness of the skin and makes veins visible on the surface of the skin. In the best case, these symptoms appear for a certain period of time and then disappear. Sometimes the symptoms are permanent.Rhinophyma
Rhinophyma is a skin condition that mainly affects men. It corresponds to a worsening of the symptoms of rosacea. The nose then becomes red and the skin thickens.Acne
This skin disorder is common, especially in adolescence. Acne is caused by a blockage of the skin's pores. The accumulation of dead skin cells and dry sebum can create redness under the nose and around the nostrils, but also on the nose.
The inflammation caused by the sun's UV rays results in a painful cutaneous redness. It can also cause scaling and redness on, around and under the nose.Lupus
This is an autoimmune disease in which your body attacks your tissues, which can affect the skin. Sometimes lupus can present as a butterfly-shaped rash on the cheeks and nose.
How to reduce redness around the nose
By now, you know the most common causes of redness. So here are some tips on how to reduce redness on and around the nose effectively.
Instant remedies to relieve redness around the nose
If redness starts to appear or you have a condition that requires you to blow your nose often, try these remedies:
- Use a humidifier while you sleep to make sure your skin doesn't dry out overnight. You can add essential oils or calming agents to the water. Try true lavender or Roman chamomile essential oil in particular.
- If the redness is linked to cold, dry skin or allergies, use moisturisers. Moisturisers in cream form and moisturising tissues containing pure aloe vera or vitamin E are ideal. You can also use a soothing hypoallergenic moisturiser or aloe vera gel. Choose one that is oil-free and non-comedogenic.
- Use gentle, hypoallergenic cleansers and moisturisers in your skincare routine.
- Apply a cold compress to your face, especially around the nose. You can also use a chamomile tea compress, which is excellent for the skin.
- Avoid using very hot water when showering and washing your face.
- Try using a CBD (cannabidiol) serum. It's a calming agent that combats redness and inflammation of the dermis. It keeps the skin fresh and fights redness around the nose.
- Consult your doctor.
Active treatments for redness around the nose
If you have managed to determine the underlying cause of your redness, try these solutions aimed at treating the problem at source:
- Home LED treatment: typically used for acne patients, this treatment uses blue light. It helps combat redness under the nose caused by capillaries, rosacea and dermatitis.
- Topical solutions: a topical solution such as hydrocortisone works locally on the treated area by reducing inflammation. It is a commonly used treatment for eczema and psoriasis.
Note that when redness is caused by rosacea, it is advisable to avoid certain products. In fact, alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods would amplify redness.
How can you avoid making redness worse?
Redness is a sign that the skin is being attacked. Generally speaking, it's best to intervene as little as possible on the sensitive area:
- Touch your nose as little as possible.
- Avoid wearing make-up for a few days.
- Avoid applying products containing alcohol and perfumes.
- Do not use witch hazel-based products, which can amplify redness.
When is it safer to consult a doctor?
Most of the time, redness around the nose is temporary. And they can be reduced by using one or more of the solutions we've just suggested.
In the event that the redness worsens or lasts longer than 2 weeks, consult a dermatologist or doctor to identify the origin of the problem. In the case of a skin condition such as rosacea or perioral dermatitis, a treatment plan will be suggested.
What Yon-Ka Paris products are recommended to reduce redness?
Do you know your skin type? Depending on your skin type (oily, dry or combination) you may need different skincare products. All Yon-Ka Paris products are designed with the nature of each skin type in mind.
Here are the products we recommend to make redness around the nose disappear:
SENSITIVE REDNESS CREAM - Designed for sensitive skin, this anti-redness cream with natural green pigments soothes the skin and reveals a more even complexion. It contains 98% natural ingredients with no essential oils or fragrances.
SENSITIVE CREAM - SENSITIVE SKINS - This soothing moisturising cream contains prebiotics and probiotics. It immediately relieves sensations of discomfort such as tightness and itching in sensitive or highly reactive skin. To minimise the risk of allergies, this cream contains no fragrances or essential oils.
SENSITIVE MASK - Designed for sensitive or reactive skin, this mask with its soft, velvety texture immediately soothes the epidermis. It contains a cocktail of 10 plant extracts renowned for their soothing and anti-redness properties. These ingredients help to reduce skin sensitivity, redness and tightness.
YON-KA FACE SCRUB - This scrub is a 4-in-1 botanical treatment that removes dead skin cells, brightens the complexion, moisturises and balances the skin. This grain-free scrub is suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive.
Would you like more solutions to help you eliminate redness around the nose? Discover the entire range Yon-Ka Paris Sensibilité et Rougeurs.